- Whenever you go out, take a water bottle with you: Drinking a good amount of water will keep your skin, body and lips hydrated at all times.
- Leave the licking habit behind: When you lick your lips, it damages the protective barrier and that dries out the lips. The reason behind that is because saliva contains digestive enzymes which break down this barrier. Instead of licking your lips, you should apply a good lip balm to ensure that they stay moisturized.
- Know Your Balms: When picking out lip balms, go for ones which have hydrating ingredients like shea butter, coconut oil, vitamin E or almond oil. The classic petroleum jelly (like Vaseline) works like a charm too.
- Take advantage of a humidifier: If you are living in a dry indoor air, then a humidifier will replace moisture and keep your lips and skin hydrated.
- Exfoliating can do wonders: Lip exfoliators have the power to get rid of all the dead skin on your lips. It works in the same manner as a face exfoliator does. However, if you have very chapped or cracked lips, then be careful while using an exfoliator (you don’t need to use it more than once a week) as they contain acids which can cause irritation to the skin.
- Always protect your lips: Never leave the house without putting on some sort of lip balm or lip moisturizer.
- Try to avoid matte lipsticks: While matte lipsticks may look good, but at the same time they can be extremely drying. This is why you should avoid them when your lips are super chapped.
Sun, wind, dehydration can damage your lips, protect them! Your lips are like a sponge, which is why they plump up when exposed to water. In the same manner, they start to dry out and shrink when dehydrated. Your lips are always exposed to sun, wind and dehydration and all that can really damage your lips. The skin on your lips is a bit different from the skin on your body as it is much thinner and does not have any oil glands (these glands act as a barrier for your skin and protects them from harmful elements). The result of that are rough, red and chapped lips which doesn’t hold the color of any lip product for long. Protecting your lips is very important, especially if you want to enjoy plump and gorgeous looking lips. With a little love and care, your lips can be perfect in no time at all. Here are a few tips which can help you out: